Thursday, July 30, 2015

Practice, Packing and Poetry

Mahi and Diana.
 After being inspired at a poetry workshop this evening, I had planned to write my entire blog in poetry. I might do that another night, but am too exhausted to execute it now. 

We practiced our speeches in class today. I was pretty happy with how my speech turned out, and I thought everyone in class had really improved since our public speaking workshop. Tomorrow we will present our Action Plan speeches to a small amount of parents, students and faculty. I will ask someone to video record it so that I can post it on this blog  (if I feel it went well enough).  

Mary Grace asked if she could eat lunch with our class in the Ratty dining hall. I had fun, and it was nice to interact with her in a setting outside of class.

After class, Mary Grace and Tory walked us to the Sarah Doyle Women's Center. It was a really cool place to be. Feminist magazines were everywhere, historical paintings of women by women covered the walls, and a library for women stood strong. 
English classmate Julia scans the titles in one of the rooms within the library. 
I had a pleasant hour or two to catch up on emails and pack my suitcases before heading off for a little last-night fun. I felt like a cool young adult this evening. With my speech feeling in control, and with nothing left but my blog to do, I met Mahi, Diana, and Komal for dinner at the Kabob and Curry Restaurant that we ate at on the first night. It was a little weird realizing two weeks had past since we had last been there. I had a really really nice, pleasant conversation with them. Another plus for the evening was the student discount they gave us. 

I ate a sampler dish essentially, and was stuffed when we waddled out the door to poetry night. 

I listened to some spoken poetry by other Summer at Brown students. This was the first activity I went to that had students who were not part of the leadership institute. 

I was really amazed and impressed when Mahi performed her spoken word. I felt like I knew her better when she sat back down after giving the room chills.

We had to leave early to put our suitcases in Ms. Neal's car, and to then go to our community meeting. 

I would like it very much if our last day could simply skip forward in the calendar so we have more time here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment