Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Learning from Experiences

The highlight of my day was going to a workshop called Navigating Classism in College. I wasn't quite excited about the workshop when I decided to go because I didn't know much about classism that exists within society. However, I am very glad that I made the decision to attend the workshop because I learned a lot from the varying experiences everyone had.

The group included Emily Wooldridge, a Brown student and an extremely friendly individual, Carol Chen, my workshop buddy, and Xenia Kibbelaar, my new friend. Emily shared her journey of coming from a rural area in Washington state and becoming a Brown student. She told us about how a summer program changed the way she looked at college and education. This was really inspiring and I could connect with her story as my view of college and education has changed after attending a summer program at Brown. Xenia told us about the difficulties she faces as an international student and the lack of resources she feels in her school in the Caribbean. I felt really bad about how much she has to struggle and the difficulties she faces. Carol shared her frustration for the lack of educational opportunities at her school. She was able to deeply connect with Xenia and Emily. Throughout this discussion, I felt very fortunate that there are many great opportunities available in my high school (Hercules High School) and my school district (West Contra Costa Unified School District), for the most perfect example is the Ivy League Connection.

After an hour of discussion about how classism exists within our schools, colleges, and societies, all four of us decided to go have dinner at the V-Dub. While having dinner, Carol, Xenia, and I asked a gazillion questions to Emily such how to pick majors, how to get financial aid, and how to write good college essays. Emily happily gave us answers and lots of great advise that I will always remember.
My discussion group. From left to right: Xenia, Emily, Carol, and me.
At Brown I have learned so much. I have experienced the transition from high school to college. I have gained skills, such as being independent, that I will always cherish. The ILC has exposed me to so many new opportunities and great individuals and I am very thankful for what I have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment