Friday, July 31, 2015

Sad Sad Sad

Wendy, classmate Kalpana, Mahi, Esme, and Diana. 
My speech went well. I was very happy that Kisa Takesue, director of Leadership Programs, was my facilitator. She ran many workshops in the past two weeks, and is wonderful; She makes the point to be personal. She is very aware of us ILC'ers, and stopped to ask us about our experiences, and how the ILC is doing. The facilitator in each room is supposed to ask questions of the speech-giver about their action plan. She didn't ask me a question, but instead commented that she liked how I measured success, and thought that my idea was a good one! 

The video below is of lunch at the Ratty. Not wanting to be split into groups, we pushed normal lunch tables together to be able to eat with the entire group. 
I did not want this day to come because I knew it meant that I would begin missing every wonderful person I have met. Many times throughout this day, I was moved by my classmates, my TA, and my instructor. Everyone wore classy, dressed up outfits for the final day. Mary Grace gave us gifts--within a party bag were small items that represented something she wanted to remind us of. For example, she gave us a small container of play dough to remind us that we could mold ourselves into anything we wanted to be. Tory wrote us all cards with thoughtful messages inside. I actually became nervous a few hours on the train ride over here, to Boston, because I thought I had lost it before I could read it!      

Diana Ramirez, everyone. 
We participated in an exercise this morning that involved anonymous recognition in things like being future world leaders, being good hearted, making others smile, giving good advice, and teaching others. This exercise made me feel good about what I had done with my two weeks on the Brown campus, it gave me confidence, and it was nice to affirm others. 
My incredible instructor Mary Grace, and my fabulous TA, Tory. 
I am going to miss Mary Grace and Tory terribly. 

Mary Grace gave me advice that I will be able to apply to the rest of my life, and she respected me like an adult. I am so impressed with her abilities to lead a group of teenagers in a forward-moving, positive direction. She has very impressive leading roles in the Brown world, and yet, she takes two weeks of her time to teach us. She is generous, super nice, and very helpful.  

I began looking up to Tory within ten minutes of meeting her. I asked her to critique two of my papers, and she did it without batting an eye. One she even did at eleven at night. I asked her endless questions, and she gave me honest answers. She always had really interesting opinions and knowledge to share about the topics we were studying.

I am really going to miss learning from them.       
This is for everyone who asks: What do you learn in Women and Leadership?
We met Guy Sanchez, a Brown alum. His daughter is a junior at Bryn Mawr College, and she is studying Arabic. My older sister Natalie is going to be attending Bryn Mawr next year, so I was excited to hear that his daughter is accomplishing great things. He offered us valuable advice, and was sweet enough to buy us Brown pens and pencils!    
Displaying KK.31.15.JPG
Komal. 
We then took the exhausting trip to get to Cambridge. I had a pillowcase stuffed with sheets and other cloth items as well. I had my backpack, my tote bag and my suitcase. It was hard to get around with so many heavy, bulky items. 
We finally made it, and I am really excited to tour Harvard tomorrow. That doesn't mean I have gotten over feeling sad however. 

No comments:

Post a Comment