Thursday, July 23, 2015

What is Leadership?

A leader is a set of concept that doesn't have a wrong or right, up or down and followed or lead. A leader is he who can step up as well as step down to let others go up. Leadership is leading people and letting people lead you.
Lovely Group of Leaders
Today, Women & Leadership went on the challenge course! Everyone had to wake up pretty early so we could check in to our leader fellow at 7:30 PM. I, unfortunately, woke up to find that I'm sick. I have the flue and it's gotten a bit worst. I aside from that I was feeling very excited to go on the challenge course. I knew it was going to require us to be a mixture of every leading style as well as a mixture for a leader and a follower.

When I got to the bus, I began eating the take out I got from the Ratty since I didn't have time to eat there. The french toast was particularly good. One of our classmates was late. Turns out she thought we were meeting at 9 AM instead of 8 AM. After a while she got there and we began our journey to the woods. 

When we got there, we formed a circle and they explained to us some guide line and to beware of tics! I feel like this made everyone a bit paranoid and itchy all over. Fortunately, we had tic socks and they sprayed our shoes with a anti tic formula. This definitely made me feel better. Our group started with introductions. After we went to a field and began our first activity.

We played a game that require the people that were eyes but could not talk to communicate with the mouths which could talk but not see or move to pass down the order to the bodies that could move and hear but not see. Our team was a bit more challenged in this exercise but in the end we got it. The next activity was the helium pole. This one was weird. All the girls had to hold the pole with limited movements with our two index fingers. The weird part was that the pole kept rising up. The objective however, was to get it down. It was very easy to do for us while we were talking but when we were muted it was a bit more challenging. Then, we also learned a spotting technique and caught a partner to build trust. Then it was lunch time.

We has a variety of sandwiches. I grabbed a turkey sandwich with potato chips and soda. We ate and took some picture with the beautiful scenery and met with our group and chatted.

After lunch everyone made their way to the wood where the challenge course would take place. We started with a challenge that involved passing people through holes in a web like ropes. We used or spotting techniques to do so. I was the person that was lifted up the most. It was scary but I had faith and trust in my group to get me through it safely. 

After we went to a challenge where w had o use two planks to cross form the first island to the second then to the last one. This one was more frustrating and physically exhausting. I began very patient and as time went on, I got more and more inpatient. At the end it all worked our and we were able to get across!
Maia, Ashley, and I trying to get to the third island (top to bottom)

After the Islands, we had a snack break. I had an apple and a chocolate chip cookie. We sat and admired the view of the water. we debriefed the island activity and we all mentioned that it was definitely more challenging. 

The last activity we did involved a rope to get across to safety. I actually fell on my knees during this one. My knees are fine, they didn't get scrapped or bruised in any way. Everyone was very encouraging and awesome. With that we headed back. 

We repeated the circle from the morning and reflected on the things we learned. We also did a quick tic check just to make sure everyone was okay. Shortly after w began heading to the buses. I immediately fell sleep. The bus actually dropped us off at Perkins hall. We didn't have to walk back!

Once we got here I was exhausted. I took a shower and napped. Esme brought me food and NyQuil for my flu. After taking the NyQuil I knocked out for a good while. I woke up later and remembered to blog which is why I'm writing so late. 

Over all today was a great learning experience as well as fun. I wish we did things like this at school or in my community to form bonds with people and be able to work together better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment