Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Fascination With Bacteria and Lots of Lessons

Have you ever seen hundreds of small, visible bacterial colonies growing? I saw some today on my LB agar plates which I prepared yesterday. One might think I am crazy or an obsessed science geek, but it was truly fascinating to see hundreds of colonies of bacteria growing.  

My experiment's main purpose was to test how well my bacteria cells, which were inserted with a recombinant plasmid containing two resistance genes for two antibiotics: ampicillin and kanamycin, were impacted with the addition of the plasmid and whether there was cell growth in areas containing one or both of the antibiotics.  I was very satisfied with the results as they were similar to the expected, theoretical results. My efforts from yesterday were successful. 

Today we started another lab as well. In today's experiment, the goal was to extract pure DNA from my own saliva. I can't wait to see the results tomorrow! 

Later during the day, I went to a workshop called The College Major: What It Is and How to Choose. I learned a lot about the different degrees given by colleges and different types of majors and what things to look out for when selecting a major. I was enlightened and glad that I attended the workshop. In the workshop, I made a new friend. Her name is Carol Chen and she is from Vancouver, Canada. We both shared the same confusion of what college we wanted to go to and what field of study we wanted to major in. In a few minutes we clicked and made plans to go to workshops together. 

Today, I went to the Sharpe Refectory, also known as the Ratty. After going there, the saying "never judge a book by its cover" came to my mind. Unfortunately, I did make that mistake and thought that the Ratty is awful just by hearing a lot of people complain about it. After eating at the Ratty, I quite liked it and am planning to go back there. Today I learned a lesson to not make opinions by the influence of other opinions. While I was at the Ratty, I unexpectedly met Cindy, Mahi, Diana, Gabi, Esme, and Wendy. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to meet Erin. It was so awesome meeting everyone.

After dinner with Carol, I went to the movie night of my class. We watched the Ghost in Your Genes. I loved the movie and I found the increasing role of epigenetics in humans very interesting. It was also very surprising to find out that a problem that one generation in a family faces can be passed down to the third generation and on. From the movie I learned that humans are responsive to many problems that are passed down generations and people need to be very careful of what they eat, drink, smoke, and get exposed to.

After the movie, I rushed to a workshop called Finding the College Right For You. The presenter was Emily Cox, an admission officer of Brown University. She shared a lot of tips on how to choose the right college, such as making site visits, asking admission officers when in doubt about anything, and how many colleges and what types of colleges to apply to. 

On the way back from the workshop, Jackie, being very nice, bought a slice of cheese pizza for someone in need of help. Jackie's simple action motivated me to become better human and made me realize how altruistic and kind humans can be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment