Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Adventures Around Every Corner

This morning I was thankful for my extra sleep and was able to get out of bed without too much delay. I got breakfast with Tyler, Phoebe, and Izzy before heading off to class. I was really excited for class today because Dean Almandrez had told us to wear active clothes so I knew we would be doing something interesting.

We started off the class with a pre-flection that involved a quote from both of the articles that we had read last night. The quotes had conflicting messages about allowing transgender people into all women colleges yet I felt like I could identify with different aspects of both quotes. This made me realize how complex of an issue is and how there isn’t usually just one path to take but many choices that one needs to make.
Feeling Sleepy After the
Scavanger Hunt 
After we finished the pre-flection Dean Almandrez split us into five groups of five and explained the activity that we were going to be doing. We were going to go on a scavenger hunt in our small groups where we had to interact with people around campus and find new places. This was a bit of a challenge because nobody in my group knew where all of the places were around campus so we had to ask lots of people. Our lack of knowledge also meant that we had to run around campus in all different directions. It was almost ninety degrees out so running around was pretty difficult. Although my group faced some struggles we made it in time and ended up coming up second.

After we had all gotten back from the scavenger hunt Dean Almandrez shared with us how the scavenger hunt represents leadership skills. The scavenger hunt highlighted each of our leadership styles as well as difficulties that can come up. Dean Almandrez also explained how in this practice it was normal for us to be competitive with the other groups but how in the real world it would be more beneficial for us to all work together.
I got take out lunch with Cindy, Tyler, Phoebe, and Sara. We all went and sat on the front green so that we could do Tie-Dye. We had to wait a long time because they were late in setting up for the Tie-Dye activity but eventually we got our shirts and were able to use the Dye. Once we finished our shirts we headed back to the class for our afternoon Trans-Identity workshop.
Two Brown students, Justice and Victor, led us through a Trans-Identity workshop. They brought up a lot of interesting questions and topics that related to the reading that we had done about accepting transgender people into all women colleges. They asked, “How did you first know your gender.” I was surprised by this question because for me there was no one defining moment but instead my whole childhood defined my gender for me. We were able to learn a lot of vocabulary to describe different types of people in this workshop which was very helpful to me. We also got into a discussion on the articles that we had read the night before and what our opinions were on all women colleges admitting transgender students.  


After class was over I headed back to the dorms to get some work done and relax. It was ninety degrees out so I couldn’t focus on doing work outside. I was able to relax for awhile.

At six I met up with Ms. Neal and the rest of the ILC cohort on the main green. We went over the checkout procedure for Friday and plans for the rest of the trip. Once we had finished going over our plans Cindy and I went to dinner with Tyler and Phoebe. We went to see the sunset at the Rockefeller library. The library was huge but very empty. We had quite the adventure exploring how to get to the top level. We found some comfy chairs to hang out in until an alarm started going off. Since we were the only ones in the library we were super freaked out by the noise and immediately ran downstairs. When we got to the bottom we were surprised to see everybody continuing their work as if nothing had happened.We later realized that the alarm was just meant to signify the library closing.

Then we took a nice walk through campus to the dorms. It was finally cool enough to enjoy being outside. After we got back to the dorms we had a short dance party in the lounge before I headed to my room and got ready for bed.







No comments:

Post a Comment