Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Awareness: A Day of Discovery

The Brown-II cohort has developed something of a routine for the beginning of the day. Each morning, before 8, the group meets at the ground level entrance and then leaves together for breakfast at the Ratty. I've come to really enjoy this part of the morning because we get to catch up on what we've all been up to. What we think of the class, what activities we have planned, and other ways to simply check up on each other. It's a pleasant way to start the morning off.

This morning, our professor gave us a very interesting exercise to work with. She split the room into two and then gave each group a poster and a marker. She then told one group to write down characteristics of what makes a woman and what makes a man. My group was told to write about what makes a man. We listed stereotypical expectations, such as athleticism, masculinity, emotionless, dominant, etc. When done, Dean Almandrez told us to act out these stereotypes. It was very entertaining to plan as well as watch the other group's skit. Afterwards, we put the posters on the whiteboard and were told to write, outside of the box on the whiteboard, the consequences each gender faces if they don't fit the description. We came up with a lot of insults commonly used to refer to men who don't conform to the ideals of "what makes a man." When done, each group looked at the other group's poster and consequences of going against gender stereotypes. The exercise put into perspective what both genders go through as a result of gender stereotyping.
What makes a man?
What makes a woman?
After class, Gaby and I got takeout from the V-Dub decided we would get more work done during the break if we headed to a quiet study area. I suggested the second floor of the Faunce Building and she agreed. The idea turned out to be a good one, as I found myself more focused and I was able to be much more productive. I got started on my essay due tomorrow and I was able to do most of the reading for the homework.
The perfect study setting.
For the afternoon part of the class, we watched a movie called "Miss Representation" which addressed how the media portrays a certain ideal for women in today's TV shows, movies, tabloids, news casting, and more. It was a very frustrating thing to watch, seeing how women are undermined, disrespected and overall misrepresented in the media. Everyone in the room agreed that it opened their eyes a little more and gave them a strong, almost disturbing feeling of awareness.

Later in the day, at 4PM, we had another workshop with the class, this time focusing on diversity. We addressed our identities and what aspects we are most conscious about, which gave us privilege, and which made us feel the most insecure about. It was a very emotional experience for everyone, as we touched on subjects which can make people feel vulnerable about. I myself discovered certain characteristics I was vulnerable about, and discovered that each person in my class has such unique qualities to them. It was a very touching experience that brought everyone even closer together as one diverse bond.

Tomorrow, I look forward to the Challenge Course. While I don't know much about what to expect, I know that it will be a way to further bond with my class as well as have active fun outside.

1 comment:

  1. I agree "it frustrating to watch..."women try to fit into unrealistic ideals because of the media leading them into self objectification. Its time to take a Stand. Enough is enough.

    ReplyDelete