Monday, July 20, 2015

Time is Flying Because We are Having Fun!

I chatted with my Resident Adviser John while in line for breakfast this morning. He is a public policy major at Penn State, but also participates in gospel choir and likes to study education and consulting. He thinks the theater major at Penn State is great, because it means the theater student gets placed in a small community, while being part of a larger school. They also perform operas about once a year. He entered undergrad undeclared, considered majoring in technical theater, but then found that he loved learning about public policy. One of the coolest classes he recently took was a theater course that sent students to London for eleven days to watch and critique eleven shows. The idea is every student chooses a lens to view each show through. After every show, the class met and discussed how the show dealt, or didn't deal with their topic. 

One great thing about this Brown experience is what I just mentioned: there are at least two-hundred college students here to help, and enthusiastic to talk about their experience. As soon as I get the chance, I am planning on asking our TA about her Oberlin experience, and her advice on reading textbooks efficiently.

Mary Grace, or Dean Almandrez, seems like she is going to be an amazing instructor. The women in the course are all passionate and interesting, and I have already gained a lot of interesting thoughts from them. For example: why is it that people within some races believe pale skin is beautiful, when others want to be tan? We broke down history, and brought our ideas and facts to the table. We discussed the recent news story of Rachel Dolezal, a recently-stepped-down N.A.A.C.P. leader who was born white, but identifies as black. I was disappointed that I left without an opinion on this controversy. Hopefully I will be able to cultivate one in the next few days. 
Erin and I decided to try out the Brown experience of studying on the grass. 
We returned to class after lunch, and spent the time creating and sharing our "Leadership Maps," art projects that explained how we ended up at Brown. I decided to do a comic strip, and really liked how the end product turned out. 

Later, the class reconvened to do a leadership workshop. We were asked whether a leader was a hammer or a nail, and were not allowed to compromise. We were asked whether a leader was the future or the present.  

We went on to learn the Leadership Compass, which was created to encourage "appreciation of diverse work styles." Northerners are doers, are assertive, quick to act, comfortable being in front of people, and express senses of urgency. Southerners lead on a value system and are team players, supportive, and like to make others feel important. I found myself identifying with South and North very closely. 

I had the most fun two minutes of the day when we Southerners put on a very exaggerated skit about what it is like to lead as a southerner. 

The last event of the day was a meeting for all scholarship receivers. It was focused on making us feel like we belonged and had similar peers among us. It was pleasant and encouraging. I am glad we went.
Mahi and I made some aluminum friends on our way back from lunch.

3 comments:

  1. Keep us informed if you develop any further thoughts on Rachel Dolezal. That’s a unique and interesting case that brought out racist comments from both sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will most definitely write about it if my thoughts develop. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. I will most definitely write about it if my thoughts develop. Thanks.

      Delete