Sunday, July 26, 2015

Sunday Catch Up

While I was initially planning on going to the beach today, as soon as my alarm woke me up to get ready for the beach, I realized that (1) I needed to work on my Action Plan, (2) I needed way more sleep this morning, (3) it was cold and my blanket was providing so much more heat, and (4) I definitely needed to do my laundry today.

I decided to sleep in and then catch up on my schoolwork as well as get my chores out of the way. For the first time since I had arrived at Providence, I was able to sleep in the comfort of a bed until I was ready to get up. It was truly a luxury.

Study session!
Today was a day definitely focused on studying and catching up on work. Not just for me, but the other girls. Today, Mahi, Gabi, Esme, Diana, Wendy and I spent a lot of the day in the lounge at Perkins. Everyone was either working on their Action Plan or doing their reflection essay that was due tomorrow. We were proofreading each other's reflections and giving each other feedback. After a few hours of working, we decided we needed to take a break and took the time to play some Theater games to bring us back to focus after some movement.

Gabi showed us some really entertaining games. Bang! was a game of reflex where you had to "shoot" the other person before they shot you, and the last two people had to act like vegetables... it's a lot better than it sounds, I promise. Speed Clap was a game of rhythm where we made up random gestures -- indescribable, but amazing. I definitely had lots of fun playing with the other girls.

We worked a bit more for a while and Gabi and I decided to go for a snack run. We asked everyone what they wanted and were on our way. Before we left, Gabriel, a boy from Austin, Texas, asked if he could join us to the MiniMart.

Later that night at 7, we had a community meeting for all the Leadership Institute students. The meeting was like a panelist-type of get together where we got to meet with Brown undergrads who were working on large, community-based projects. Some of the people were really interesting and had been working on really innovative projects. There was Erik, who found out via research that homeless people are very likely to have cell phones, and used that information to set up a text messaging service that lets homeless people know about nearby resources. There were a lot of other undergrads who had very interesting ideas and plans.

Lastly, tonight I learned how to do laundry all by myself. While I was nervous about whether I had done it right, my clothes had not been destroyed, so I definitely think I did good.

1 comment:

  1. This is great! We spend $12,000 to send you 3,000 miles away from home so you can learn how to do your own laundry? The big question is why is it that so many of you are not REQUIRED by your parents to do the laundry at home? What's to become of society when young people like yourselves are being deprived of basic life skill instructions? Oh woe to us all. :-)

    ReplyDelete