Monday, July 20, 2015

A Lesson Learned With a Great Day

Feeling quite energized and prepared for the day, I woke up early. Out of the norm from the everyday ten-minute breakfast of cocoa puffs and milk, I had a protracted breakfast of pancakes, oatmeal, and a glass of guava juice. 

In class today we created recombinant DNA molecules. The goal was to create a recombinant plasmid which contains two resistance genes: ampicillin (AMP) and kanamycin (KAN). The lab was divided into two parts: the restriction digest of plasmids pAMP and pKAN and the ligation of pAMP and pKAN restriction fragments. 

After carefully performing both labs, I began to work on the assignment that was due by the end of the period. The assignment was to make a flowchart connecting laboratory 9, which we did today, and laboratory 10 and 12, which we will be doing during this week. The goal were to have an overall idea of the procedure of the labs, what is going on during these labs, and what is the purpose of these labs. While doing the flowchart, I wasn't able to completely understand the purpose of the experiment, so I stayed after class to ask Professor Hall a few questions I had in mind about the purpose of the three labs and calculations done earlier that day. Professor Hall perfectly answered my questions in ways that I could understand the material. 

After clarifying my questions, I went to lunch with two really nice classmates, Ousmane and Brian. After great efforts, I persuaded Ousmane, the defender of the Ratty, to have lunch at the V-Dub. My roommate, Jackie, accompanied us for lunch. Throughout the whole time, I debated with Ousmane about which dining hall was better. Although our debate came to no conclusion, we all enjoyed our lunch. 

Soon I returned to my dorm to start my homework and tidy up my room. After I got most of my work completed, I decided to take a power nap before engaging in any other activities or workshops. 

At around 6:30 PM, I woke up to a special knocking on my door with a faint voice saying my name. When I heard the knock, I recognized that it was Andrea. A few days ago, Andrea created a special knock to let us know that it is her who is knocking. The system has worked great ever since. Anyway, Andrea had come to let me know that she was ready to go to dinner. 

After Jackie arrived, all three of us went to the V-Dub to have dinner. 

At 10:30 PM, Jackie, Andrea, and I went to the Monday floor meeting with our RA Hannah and other girls of our floor. In the meeting, we started planning a karaoke event called Brown's Got Talent. After a fun hour of chatting and laughing, I returned to my dorm. 

Today was the least stressful day I have had at Brown so far. Time management played a huge role in the success of the day. As I have started to manage my time well, I am able to complete all my work on time and absorb all the information I learn. For the first time, I am not falling asleep while writing this blog. I am able to enjoy more and stress less.

Thank you so much to everyone for reading and following my blogs. I truly appreciate it. Thank you to the Ivy League Connection and everyone associated with it for this outstanding experience and everything they have bestowed me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment