Thursday, July 23, 2015

Working Together as a Team

Our fashionable anti-tick socks.
Today I woke up earlier than usual because of the Challenge course. I was kind of worried about it because last night they had given us anti-tick socks. Why would I want to be somewhere where there are ticks? I honestly did not know what to expect. Our RA would not tell us anything not even a hint about what we were going to do. 

Airplane-looking bus
We grabbed something to eat for breakfast and met up in the bus outside the Ratty. The bus from the inside was actually pretty nice compared to the ones we have at our school. It reminded me of an airplane and it even had seat belts. We were all ready to go except one girl. She was not on time so we all had to wait for her until she arrived. It felt as if we were waiting for hours which was not very fun. 

Once we arrived at the park, we split up into a couple of groups. I was really happy my group had most of the girls I knew from Women and Leadership and Tory. Most of the activities we performed were based on depending on others and trusting them. 

On the first activity we split into two smaller groups. Only 2 people were able to see in the groups, two were able to move, and two were able to speak. I was one of the eyes. The people that were able to see were the only ones that knew the objective of the game. The objective was to get the people that were able to move while being blindfolded around a cone, pick it up, and come back. Since I was able to see, I drew directions on a girls hand that was able to speak. It sounds complicated but it was not really. From both of the teams, my team, team 1 won. 

The second activity we were practicing trust falls. It sounds fairly easy but, it was actually really scary. After a while i started to trust the people that were catching me. Once we did this various times, we started trust falling and carrying the person. This really helped us out on the activity after this. The girls had to carry each other through holes that were pretty high. Before we started, there was time to talk about ideas the group had. At first I realized everyone was just talking over one another and did not really give others a chance to speak. Instead of getting to the point of getting people to the other side of the holes everyone kept trying to put out new ideas every time. 

Working together as a team
The next activities I realized were all basically on the same concept. Being able to listen to one another, trusting each other, and working as a team. I really liked it because I think it brought us even closer. I also really acknowledged how every time we would finish the activities we had time to reflect as a group and share our thoughts about what our opinions were and ranked how frustrated we got in the process. I realized that in the beginning, I was really patient but once we got to the last activities, I started to get more frustrated because I just wanted to get everything over with fast. 

One thing that really stuck with me is a quote Heather, our introducer to the space, had mentioned. "If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together." It is really true an reminded me of what we learned bout leadership in the class. Leaders cannot really be leaders without supporters. So therefore, a leader needs people to go far. I really love how every activity we participate in has something to connected with Woman and Leadership. 

1 HOUR LATER....
The great view
On our way back, we were all exhausted. Mostly everyone fell asleep in the bus. When we arrived to our dorms, I was starving. Diana did not feel well since she woke up pretty sick so she could not go get something to eat with me. I asked Wendy and she was willing to go which made me pretty happy. Everyone else had went out. Wendy and I walked to Johnny Rockets. Their costumer service was HORRIBLE. They took forever with our food! I grabbed something for Diana and went to CVS to buy her medicine for her cold. I really hope she feels better. 

My day was actually pretty good today. I loved being outside and the view at the park was great. Even though I was afraid a tick was going to get at me, I had a lot of fun with the girls. Our bond is getting really stronger which gets me more comfortable and I really do appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment