Sunday, July 26, 2015

Friends Melt Away Frusturation

Although I was planning to go to the beach today, I  quickly realized that was not going to happen. I woke up around 7:30 AM, feeling exhausted. Since it was Sunday the temptation of sleeping in was too hard to resist. I also knew I had a lot to work on and today was the perfect opportunity to do just that.

After finally getting up around 10 and realizing I missed breakfast, I made plans to get an early lunch with the rest of the cohort - minus Erin who had gone to the beach. The six of us, Kamri, and Toko, walked to the ratty. I had a cheeseburger and some fries which tasted delicious. We also went to purchase a bear bucks card to do laundry.

We had decided to work together in the lounge, since it was really close to the laundry room I put my clothes in the machine and added detergent. Me and Diana shared the card and put in $3 each, to wash and dry a load. When I tried to put the card in to start the washer, it didn't work, saying the amount balance was too low.

I called the on-call leader-fellow, who said she didn't really know what to do about it, and suggested I put more money in. I also tried calling the Bear Bucks number and the Brown Residential Office number. Both of those said the same thing, that they were only open Mon-Fri. I found that a little ridiculous since most people I know do their laundry on the weekend.

I found out I wasn't the only person having this problem. I tried visiting the Brown card office and a couple other places, which were not open. It was just really frustrating. Since I had wasted most of my day trying to do that, It was close to 3 PM when I started on work. I finished an analysis on Emma Watson's HeForShe campaign that was due the next day.

I brought up that although the movement was a step in the right direction, the way part of it were stated were problematic. By referring to women as mothers, daughters, and sisters, you are ignoring the fact that before all else they are individuals.

I also did some research on my action plan. We took a break and Gabi taught us some really fun theater games. Sometimes you really need to let go and have fun, I felt much better after that. It wasn't a big deal in the first place, but having fun and talking to my mom gave me a lot of energy.

We went to get dinner, and I also added more money to my Bear Bucks card, which thankfully worked this time. We had an action plan panel and community panel in the evening. It was very comforting to work on my action plan and receive very useful advice for it. I came back to the dorm, finally did my laundry, and went to bed very ready for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment