Sunday, July 19, 2015

A Very Packed, Providence Day

I woke up pretty early today since I knew it would be busy, the rest of the cohort and I went to the ratty for breakfast. I had a banana and some honey and oat cereal. It wasn't too far but the humidity makes walking harder than usual. 

We got to talk a little about what we where looking forward to here while we ate. Afterwards, we decided to go back to the dorms since it was still pretty early. Some of the other students were starting to arrive, which was nice. I just relaxed a little in my room and had a quick snack.

We walked to the main green where we took a tour around campus. It really helped me figure out the general location of everything. Our tour guide, Jason, was really funny and took the time to give us some really useful advice about navigating Brown.

Ms. Neal then took us to the Brown Bookstore on Thayer Street to pick out some sweatshirts. It was really nice and cool inside. I decided on this pretty Maroon/Brown sweatshirt with 'Brown University" on the front. It was a little big but I really liked it and I think i'll wear it a lot back home.

On our way back to campus we saw this man with a huge white snake around his neck, since we where all pretty curious, Gabi asked him about it. Turns out its name is Angel and it's an albino Boa Constrictor. The owner, Jordan, told us he loved animals.

Jordan was super passionate about snakes and told us a lot about how misunderstood they are. He told us the difference of poisonous/venomous and shared that he had been bitten by 40-something times, only four of those times it was poisonous though.

We then decided to rent some box-fans for our dorms, we had an orientation in less than five minutes and had to run to not miss it. 

After that we grabbed lunch, and had another orientation. We separated into our floors and played some games that helped us get to know each other. My RA, Jeff is absolutely hilarious and super down to earth. Then there was another orientation.

Jeff gave us a brief tour of campus, my second of the day, and led us to get dinner. I met some really cool girls on my floor and got to talk to them. I had a Chicken Parm which was okay, and some more backed mac. Esme, Diana, Gabi, and I decided to visit CVS and pick up a few things.

Our map said the nearest CVS wasn't too far, turns out it was in downtown Providence. After walking all the way downtown we arrived to find it closed. We started upon the long journey back, although my legs felt like jello at the end it was still nice to get to explore more of the city.

We went back to campus and tried to go to the activities fair but Gabi saw her roommate and a couple other girls who said they were just going to CVS so we decided to join them. Turns out there was one much closer, on Thayer. I picked up some nail polish remover and a couple other things.

After finally getting to the activities fair I found a couple of things that looked really interesting, and one that made me light up inside, QUIDDITCH! I don't know how it's going to work, but I could not be any more excited. We made our way back to the dorms a little later.

Our RA's were having floor meetings which ended around 10 PM, Women and Leadership gave us a list of things we have to read and watch before class tomorrow, so I knew I would be up till late. We took a couple of pictures of us in the sweatshirts and headed to bed.

2 comments:

  1. How lovely to know about your experiances at Brown. I am sure you are going to have the most exciting and wonderful time there. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here’s a quick piece of news for you--we’re not all young like you so we might not have a clue what Quidditch is. Shame on you for making me look it up. :-)

    And for those that are so out of touch like me, here’s where you can learn more:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quidditch

    ReplyDelete