Tuesday, July 21, 2015

I'm All Ears

Today, Kisa gave us a little lecture about being able to listen to others. When I heard we were going to be tested on our listening skills, I had no idea what we were going to do. For the most part, I expected it to be very straight-forward. This lesson actually ended up being a big eye opener. Listening to others might sound easy but it really takes a lot. From body language, asking questions, affirmation, to ending with an over all summary. 

On the first activity, we practiced being rude to our partner by using our phone while they talked, looked away, continuously checked the time, etc. Once my partner began to do that while I was trying to make a conversation, I realized how rude and disrespectful it was.  It also distracted me and made me forget what I was trying to talk about. It made me feel as if I was not important enough to be heard. 

On the second activity, we had to make eye contact with our partner and nod our head. This showed a sign that we understood what they were saying or agreed with it. A simple gesture makes such a huge difference. While we were doing this I felt the need to keep on talking without stopping because of how interested she seemed to be. 

On the third activity, we practiced asking questions that did not have a yes or no answer. Most of these questions started of with "Tell me about..." "What is that like?" "Say more." This actually helped by extending the conversation. I am glad I learned these techniques because it really helps when you are trying to be supportive to a friend or anyone when they need someone to talk to. It also makes the other person feel as if you actually care. These sort of questions also lead the other person to their own solutions.

On the fourth activity, we practiced summarizing everything the person had said. To do this, we had to reword everything. It also helped if you word it in a specific form like, "From my understanding this is what is happening _____, am I right?" 

For the last part, Kisa gave us a tip for communication. She mentioned it was going to be really difficult to use because of its cheesy-ness. The sentence "I feel _____ when you ____ because _______." This phrase gives some sort of feed back. It does not always have to be something negative. Giving positive feedback is always great. I actually agree with this because it lets the other person know how you feel because they do not always know. Once you mention the problem or the good things they do, it improves your relationship with them. It helps them learn what not to do and what to do to make you happy. I really appreciate all of the tips and I am sure I am going to improve on being a better listener and having better communication skills. 

The Main Green
Once this was over it was lunch time. Diana, Wendy, and I went to the Main Green to concentrate a bit on all the assignments we had to get a clear understanding. After this, it was time to go to the second section of our class. For the most part, we were focusing on our Action plan and brainstorming ideas. Our Action plan is a paper we are writing and presenting about an action we are going to take to improve a problem in our community or internationally. I am really excited about this because everything will be in clear detail and it will give me an idea of how a leader starts its journey. 

For the first time in 3 days we had a lot of time left over. Diana, Wendy, and I decided to stay in our dorm and finish all the work we had left in order to get a good night sleep. Lately we have been really tired through out the day because we've hardly been able to sleep. Over all, it was another great day. So far I am loving Brown and I could not be any more grateful to have this amazing opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment