Saturday, July 25, 2015

Faces

Work it Mahi!
 I would like to introduce you all to a new side of Mahi. We were all goofing off and taking photos in front of the Rhode Island School of Design Museum, and I asked Mahi if I could take a photo of her because I wanted to practice, and she was the only one who seemed open to it. She agreed, dropped her smile and snapped into the pose above. She then switched into a mysterious, aloof vibe for the second shot. 
If this were a fashion blog, I would write, "Mahi Taban walked onto set with a bright grin and a simple, visibly heavy backpack, both of which serve her well at the Brown Leadership Institute. Her confidence in leading people easily translates to the set. She is a versatile model and is willing to try anything; both are refreshing traits that set her apart from her peers."     

Then Komal got into it! She had the same enthusiasm, but used completely different emotions. She gravitated towards welcoming, friendly smiles that could make anyone want to be her friend.
She asked to take her glasses off, and I asked her to switch up her facial expressions. We landed on the more understated peaceful shot below.

Right as I was taking the second snapshot, we were let into the museum, which was surprisingly large compared to the outside of the building. With our Brown ID, we got in for free. Every room had a different theme and color scheme.
My favorite room.
I enjoyed the paintings of faces the most, but found a few that were really abstract that I enjoyed.
"Puhleeze twenty-first century teens-- lose the selfie
stick. Portraits are better." 
"Grrr. My neighbors are partying hard again."
So little paint was used to create this woman who
seems to have gone through a lot. 
To me, it looks like an out-of-focus city. How do you see it?












 I gave up reading the descriptions of the exhibits and individual pieces, because they didn't tell me what the paintings were about, but focused on how the pieces were made. It was writing that needed thoughtful interpretation by people with heavy art experience and language. It would have been ridiculous and unreasonable for me to look up every word.

Some paintings didn't need thought, the feeling or emotion was clear, and hit me immediately. For the others, I made up stories to accompany. They are in the captions above.

After we had all been through every room, we walked through the darling downtown area towards the giant nearby mall. It was fun to get off campus, and bond a bit more as a group. A store was having a huge sale where almost every article of clothing was five dollars, so I left with two new dresses that can be used all year round.

One of the highlights of my day was when Diana, Wendy, Komal and I decided to dress up in awful outfits. We found the most ugly, awkward, and contrasting pieces. Komal is hilarious: she put pants and a shirt under her romper. I am glad we will get time when we tour colleges to hang out more. We had a lot of laughs.
I think these are perfect outfits to meet admissions officers in. 
By the way, I finally figured out the secret to looking like the models who walk runways: DON'T COORDINATE ANYTHING.

I had dinner with my roommate when we returned. As much as she has made me picture Kentucky, it is hard for me to imagine what it would be like if I lived there. We went for Ben and Jerry's after, and had a great time. 

Now for much homework!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment