Friday, July 31, 2015

Tears, Hugs, and Good-Byes

Today class began at 10 which meant that I got an extra hour of sleep. I woke up at 8:50 and got ready for today. Today I had to present my Action Plan; I wasn't exactly nervous, but I wasn't thrilled about it either. So I quickly put on my dress and left to The Ratty with Gabi at 9:10. For the last time, I ate pancakes and eggs. 

It didn't really hit me that today was the last day until I was walking to class. "This is the last day", I thought to myself. I didn't know how to feel. In class, I sat next to Gabi whom I had previously eaten breakfast with. 

The class began with Mary Grace showing us a picture of a cow-boy in a desert setting. The picture conveyed a cow-boy staring at a T.V. Each time she would zoom in and ask us what we thought it was. After numerous responses, she finally elaborated as to the meaning of this activity. She said that this represented our way of thinking after this class. Not only did we look at the picture as a whole, but we also looked deeper. 

The class played a game as well. Mary Grace told everyone to close their eyes. If she tapped you on the shoulder it meant that you had to go in the middle. If you went to the middle, you had to tap the people sitting down on the shoulder if the statement applied to them. Some statements that she said were, "Tap this person if you wish that you got to know them better" or  "tap this person if they made you smile today." I got some taps, and every time I smiled. I really wanted to know who were the ones tapping me, but I guess that would have probably ruined the game. Just knowing that people appreciate you is great even if you don't know who the person is. 

Later in the class, we took multiple photos. Tory, our TA, gave us all individual letters. This meant a lot to me, because not everyone takes the time to write to 25 girls an individual and personal letter. Mary Grace also gave everyone a gift. It was a small plastic bag with small objects and each one had a different meaning. I know that I'll never forget the puzzle piece. Each girl received a puzzle piece along with other symbolic items. The puzzle piece represented how even though we were all from different countries and states and were now going our own ways we are still going to be connected someway. My eyes were getting watery by this point.

Soon after, the whole class was crying. It was very emotional realizing that we'll are most likely never going see each other again. Many hugs were exchanged and tears streamed down everyone's cheeks.

After that we ate lunch as a class.

Let's not forget the Action Plan. After a brief assembly closing Summer@Brown and celebrating the student's accomplishments we were all split into our groups in which we would be presenting. I was put into group O. I started to get nervous. After I had presented, I patiently listened to the other student's wonderful ideas. 

Once all of  that was done, I hugged my classmates and said my good-byes. It was extremely difficult to keep the tears hidden. Now it was time to clean my dorm and say good-bye to it as well. I was distraught and still am. I'm going to miss everyone and  this experience. 


No comments:

Post a Comment