Friday, July 24, 2015

Pushing Our Comfort Zone? Let's Go Thayer!

According to our Public Speaking Workshop leader Jennifer, no last name found, sixty percent of public speaking is how you look and your physicality, thirty percent is how you speak, and ten percent is what you say. 

I enjoyed breaking down public speaking in a new way, and I found Jennifer's story interesting. She did undergraduate, graduate and P.H.D. levels of education in theater and performing arts. She earned money in graduate school (at Brown) coaching people in public speaking. One interesting observation she had was that acting students were some of her hardest clients because they "performed" their speeches instead of just talking. She is now a theater professor (not at Brown), and teaches public speaking at Brown's Leadership Institute.     
Me: "Why hello there Cindy."
Cindy did not reply to me in the weird tone of voice I initiated the conversation with. 
Jennifer had many hilarious and cringe-worthy anecdotes to tell about past students. A girl once held a pen in her hands, but it exploded. She touched her face unknowingly, and the entire audience was distracted by the ink smear for the duration of the speech. The moral of the story: lose the pen.

Erin, Cindy and I explored Thayer Street (do you get my title now?) after class. I purchased the socks below. I have to admit, we all found the street a little disappointing. Erin and I both spend time on Solano Ave. and in Berkeley and Cindy hangs out on Bay Street. I am glad we experienced Thayer St., but kids who perhaps didn't live in such diverse, busy areas hyped it up to be more than it was.   
I couldn't resist: these socks were just too appropriate. 
After an hour of checking out shops, we headed back to the main green to study. It began raining though, so Cindy and I went into our favorite indoor study space: Faunce House. I spent about half an hour group chatting my home friends about my experience, and catching up with them for the first time in weeks. One of my friends is now excitingly watching a documentary we watched in class, and she is watching it with the critical eye I learned, and shared with her.  
I liked this painting that we found in Faunce House.
Erin rushed off to save her keyless roommate, but we all met for dinner, and then met later with the remaining cohort and Ms. Neal. We chatted about our weekend plans, and asked Ms. Neal what she suggested we visit in downtown Providence. She didn't suggest anything however, noting that her preferences were quite different than ours. She wanted us to make our own choices. I would have never thought to keep my opinion to myself, but I think it wise choice.
Let's go where? Let's go Thayer, to Thayer!
I really want to spend some of our unscheduled time tomorrow exploring libraries and buildings. We learned also that there is a building on campus perfect for seeing sunsets. I also want to do my homework and start my action plan research. Our TA also sends us her own supplementary material, and I want to read and watch those.      

I would apologize for using a bad pun twice, but we talked about how women apologize for things they should be proud of today in class, and I am proud of that pun.

No comments:

Post a Comment