Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Hope and Power

The Amazons 
Mary Grace had asked us to wear comfortable clothes to class today, saying we would be running around a lot. I didn't understand what that would entail until arriving at class and finding out. Turned out we had a scavenger hunt! My group consisted of Wendy, Kulpna, Emma, and Megana. We had tasks like taking pictures with two brown bear statues, the lgbtq center, and the intersection of Hope and Power Street,  as well as taking a picture of a group of people holding up a "we are feminists" sign, and finding someone who could define intersectionality. It was sweltering hot outside but our group, the Amazons, won third place.

War Propaganda
We grabbed lunch at the V-dub since it's much closer to class. After break we had Victor and Justice, two Brown students, give us a Trans Awareness workshop. It was really eye opening to learn about some of the issues trans individuals face and realize how much  privilege I, as a cisgender person have. We returned to Perkins and freshened up. Diana and I went exploring, we tried to visit the Annmary Brown memorial but it had apparently been closed for the summer so we visited the John Hay library instead. 

It was beautiful inside, with some really cool paintings and miniature representations of battles. We went shopping on Thayer, where a man was selling necklaces, bracelets, and rings on the side of the street. I was looking at the things when he asked me if I was from Afghanistan, I was pretty shocked and asked him how he knew. He pointed to my name of my Brown ID. His name was Jose and he was from Spain. He said he had hick-hiked all over Asia back in the day and knew a lot about the culture and geography. It was really cool to meet him, he said he was a braider and could braid names using a single piece of string.

Jose's Merchandise
I bought a pair of shoes and a couple small souvenir type gifts. We met with Ms. Neal to go over some of the details of our departure from Providence and the three days we will be spending in Boston. We also got to write letters to our parents. Later on, i practiced my action plan since we had pre-presentations the next day. I am trying to make the absolute most of my time here which can feel like I am stretching my self a little thin. It makes me a little sad that we will be leaving Providence so soon, but at the same time I am happy to see my family again.

No comments:

Post a Comment