Friday, July 31, 2015

Emotions Run Rampant

Mary Grace, Tory, and I
Today was understandably very emotional. It was our last day here at Brown! Class started at 10 today which gave us a little more sleep. Esme, Diana, and I got Starbucks for breakfast, I had a hot chocolate and a chocolate chunk cookie which was very good. By the time class had started my heart already felt a little heavy. 

We started off with reviewing the hopes and hope not's we had written the first day of class. Everything we had hoped had happened, which was awesome. We all shared how we felt and affirmed Tory and Mary Grace. We shared how much they had impacted us, and how we looked up to them. It was personal and beautiful and I had tears streaming down my face by the end of it.

We played "touch someone who" which was where we all sat in a circle and closed our eyes. Mary Grace would tap five people to go to the center and read statement such as "touch a person who you have learned from" and "touch a person whose smile lights up the room". The people in the middle would then touch the people who they thought that applied to on the shoulder.

My empty dorm
It felt incredible every time I felt that tap because it was affirmation that I was appreciated. I think that activity should be integrated into more schools. Tory made us little personalized cards which were so brilliant and Mary Grace gave us little packages. I felt so grateful to be able to have spent all that time with people as incredible as them.

We all walked to the Ratty for one last meal, the whole class ate together. I am going to miss these girls so much because they have been such inspirations to me. After lunch we walked to McMillan Hall, which was right next to our classroom, for the action plans.
\
Kisa did introductions and started a slideshow of our two weeks at Brown, which I absolutely loved. We then split up into our action plan groups. It went great and was over before I knew it. We met up outside McMillan to take pictures before parting ways.

We said our goodbyes, eyes full of tears, I hugged the girls and invited them over to California anytime. We headed to Perkins, packed up last minute things, made sure our rooms were okay, and loaded into the van, running to turn in our fans and room keys.
Boston!

We went to Chipotle to have lunch with Guy Sanchez, a Brown alum. Guy, an engineer, grew up in Texas. He was very helpful and gave us really thorough and meaningful answers. It was great to have his insight into Brown University and the college application process in general.

After lunch we headed to the train station and departed for Boston. Once we had arrived at Cambridge we checked into our hotel and went for dinner. I had a grilled chicken sandwich and a delicious mango blood orange drink. I returned  to my room which I share with Esme and Diana and fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment