Friday, July 24, 2015

A Blaring Fire Alarm to Tap Dancing

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." This quote by Walt Disney perfectly describes my day and is becoming a motto for me.

Thursday morning proceeded as usual. I ate a bowl cocoa puffs and milk and saved a blueberry muffin for an afternoon snack.

As always, I enjoyed working in the lab and continuing the ongoing week experiment involving recombinant DNA. 

Today I had a few realizations. Although I enjoy doing experiments, I often find it difficult to think ahead about the variety of possible results an experiment can yield, which is an important capability a laboratory worker should have. However, Professor Hall always explains everything so ingeniously that I understand the analysis. Today I also started wondering whether I am the type of person who can continue researching a simple question for as long as it could take. I don't know the answer to that question now, but I hope I find out soon. 

In the afternoon, I returned to my dorm to work on homework and my blog. The worst thing happened when the fire alarm started blaring and nearly deafening me. Since I was wearing my pajamas, I quickly changed and went out of my dorm. With a crowd of people, I stood outside my building soon to find out that it was a drill. With my mind boggled, I returned to resume my work. 

Recently I have been going to a lot of college workshops to learn more about how to choose majors, find the right college, write good college essays, and do well on the new SAT. Today I decided to go to an art workshop to enjoy an hour of doodling and drawing. In the workshop, there was a display of different shading techniques. I was particularly interested in learning the stippling technique, a shading technique using patterns of dots, because the technique is very beautiful and brings objects to life. Using a design, I made some cherries using the stippling technique.
My distorted masterpiece.
After that, I went to a workshop that taught how to read to write college essays and do college exams. The workshop was quite helpful, however it was more of a review of what I already knew.

The next workshop I went to was...tap dancing! I dragged my roommate, Jackie, with me to try this new dance. Along the way, we both realized we were wearing flip-flops to the tap dancing workshop. I decided to go bare feet to enjoy tap. Although I was quite bad at tap, I fully enjoyed myself. 
From left to right: Vivian (a new friend I made at the tap dancing workshop), Maddy DiGiovanni (the instructor of the workshop), Jackie, and me. My new friends were really interested in knowing about the Ivy League Connection. They were all really excited to be a part of my blog.
Here is a video of me tap dancing, or at least trying to tap dance! From left to right: me, Maddy, and Vivian.  I know my dancing skills suck.


No comments:

Post a Comment