Saturday, July 25, 2015

Getting to Know Providence!

Being able to sleep in this morning -- even if it was an hour more of sleep -- was very refreshing. At about 9 this morning, the full Brown cohort went for breakfast at the Ratty. We met up with Komal there and ate all of us together before embarking on our day of exploring the central part of Providence.

Entering the museum.
We decided to go to the RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) Museum first before heading out to the mall. The museum was amazing! We walked a few blocks to arrive and were able to enter for free using our student IDs and ended up having a great time at the museum. There were all types of art ranging between various time periods. From sculptures, to portraits, to porcelain figures, the museum was bursting with a diverse selection of art. If I could, I would have taken a picture of everything in the museum simply because everything there was so beautiful.

The main gallery.
The outside garden.
My favorite piece at the museum!
When we were done visiting, we decided that since we were already so close to the mall, we may as well walk all the way there. I'm glad we did because it served as an opportunity to better experience the Providence area and take in the environment. We finally arrived at the city mall, known as the Providence Place. The mall was grand. It covered a lot of area and had multiple floors. While I didn't purchase anything today, it was fun to visit the stores and bond with the rest of the cohort. We met up with Ms. Neal in the afternoon at the food court and ate together again. Erin, Wendy, Gaby, and I eventually became very exhausted and decided to head back to the dorms. Thankfully, Ms. Neal offered to give us a ride to Perkins. Lucky for us -- the walk back would have been brutal at this point.

I went back to my dorm to further work on my action plan research and also set up a movie night with my roommate Ava later. We ordered pizza from Nice Slice (which is amazing pizza), microwaved some popcorn, and watched Netflix in our dorm. It was a great bonding experience and I become grieved with sadness thinking about how this will be my last week with Ava and all of the students I've come to grow fond of here at the Pre-College program at Brown. 

1 comment: