Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Practicing Being Anti-Social for College

I caught Mahi swirling in circles on this chair, and grinning ridiculously. Busted!
 I am not going to lie, there are very few things to write about today. I will touch on a few things, but know that more than nine of my daytime hours were spent writing my Action Plan. 

Here is an exert of my Action Plan: "I, a feminist, am concerned with my fellow teenagers’ lack of knowledge and conversation about issues pertaining to gender. I want to open a conversation about feminism and increase the number of teenagers who unashamedly identify as feminist. I plan to do this by completing my Action Plan of creating and sharing a documentary about teenage experiences and pride in feminism."

I have begun texting friends and asking if they are interested in participating. One friend is going away for college, and I will need to interview him two days after I return from our trip. I have begun writing a list of questions and know that I have a video camera and laptop to work with. As long as I am preparing on the trip home, all I will need to do is play with lighting, and do a practice run with a sibling before I need to conduct my first interview.  

I want to finish filming before school starts so I don't have to worry about that during school time. The urgency to get things done is stressful, but I think ultimately very beneficial.   
This is where the magic happens. The circle of chairs is how we sit every day because the class is discussion based. 
 We had guests in class this morning. A panel of the people below answered our questions about their work. One of the things that struck me was what they said about sacrifice. They all knew that when your work is trying to fix social problems, you can't surround yourself with things and people who are supporting those problems. I was grateful for all of the wisdom they gave to us. We practiced networking, but my cohort and I all felt confident in that thanks to practice with the ILC.
These are the wonderful people who were invited to speak with us today. 
 I spent hours alone in the Science Library again because it is quiet, pleasant, and without distractions. As much as I love having conversations with people I will never see again after this, I find it easiest to physically separate myself, so that I don't feel myself getting sucked into conversations.    
Most classes begin with a quote from our reading, and us reflecting on it. Here is today's quote.
I realized that the video I posted yesterday didn't work. Here it is again, and I hope it works. 
 

2 comments: