Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Running in the Providence Heat

Yesterday Dean Almandrez told us to wear comfortable clothes. I had no idea what the reason was. When I arrived to class, I was put into a group of 5. My group consisted of: Mahi, Kalpana, Megana, Emma, and I. Mary Grace told us that we had to complete a scavenger hunt. We also had to come up with a group name and a group roll call. We all agreed on The Amazons. Our group roll call consisted of hand gestures that resembled a bow and arrow. As soon as we received the map, we quickly sprinted outside of the CIT building. Only to realize that we had to go back inside to create a poster that said "We are Feminists." My group also had to complete a puzzle and take a picture with it.

The heat was unbearable. As my group and I went off to complete the checklist, I felt my face getting grossly sticky with sweat. We weren't close to being done and I was already ready to pass out (not literally). We made our way to the Main Green then we took a picture at the Van Wickle Gates. We even got some Italian men to pose with the "We are  Feminists" poster. We had to take a picture in mid-air as well. We resorted to the LGBTQ center to take a picture of the gender neutral bathrooms and to ask a lady who worked there what the definition of Intersectionality was. 

My team ended up getting 3rd place. I didn't mind at all that we didn't get 1st place. We worked well and that is all that matters. I rested on the floor because I was immensely exhausted. I took a short break. Later Mary Grace, dismissed us for lunch. 

The girls and I ate lunch at the V- Dub and ate at the science library. We hanged for a bit then proceeded to the next section of class. I was still exhausted but excited because we were going to have a trans-gender identity workshop. Our guest speakers, Justice, and Victor taught me a lot of trans-gender  terms and new terms of which I've never heard before but were still interesting. It is bias how 8% trans-gender people have had to sell drugs for income and 11% of trans-gender people have had to do sex work for income. 

Justice and Victor also enlightened us on how Native Americans were matriarchal until they came  into contact with English men. I learned that gender identity is how you feel about yourself and gender sexuality is who you're attracted to and that Intersectionality is 1% of the world's population (as much as red heads). 

Gabi. Mahi. Diana, Esme, and I decided to take a break and take a walk to Thayer. We had to rush back to our dorms because we didn't want to get to Perkins past our curfew. We got there on time and got started on our Action Plan presentations for tomorrow right away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment