Sunday, July 26, 2015

No Sundaes on this Sunday.

I woke up at six only after six hours of sleep. I realized that I was exhausted and not feeling confident about my previous decision to be a beach bum all day. My texts from other cohort members mirrored the same doubt. The beach has no Internet access, and I still needed to finish my HeForShe reflection, and start my Action Plan. I also wanted to do laundry and sleep well tonight. To add to my worries, I wanted to check in during my T.A.'s office hours, and attend a mandatory community meeting from seven to nine at night. 

I easily made the decision to stay home with every cohort member except Erin, who went to the beach. We missed her in our fun, but I am glad someone got to relax and experience Rhode Island. I got breakfast with my roommate early, and then went on a walk that was supposed to wake me up. I walked past all of the theater and music buildings but none were open. I felt foolish--it was Sunday morning. Why would they be open? After half an hour of walking, I was still groggy and not energetic. I went back to my dorm and slept for an hour.

The cohort that stayed home had plans to work in the lounge, and intertwine work with spa fun and lawn games. 

In reality, we worked and worked. We were all visibly distracted and tired, so we went outside into the muggy warm and increased our moods, focus and energy through theater games. Everyone laughed uncontrollably and bonded.

My roommate returned, and we got to work doing laundry with her bear bucks card and her laundry detergent. Her preparation and generosity saved me a lot of time. We economized, and put our clothes in the same load, allowing us to do a light and dark load. I also ran up to the kitchen sink and hand washed my new dresses, and a few delicate tank tops. I hung them in my closet, but realized that they were way too wet, and would do water damage to the closet if I let them hang dry. Luckily, our load in the dryer was done early, so I shoved them in enough to not drip. 
"Mahi! The washing machine is NOT a time machine. Stop trying to fit your entire body into it!"
We tried really hard to make laundry-doing exciting for photos.  
I feel like I accomplished a lot today, but that I also accomplished little. I am behind in my work and won't slumber tonight, but I succeeded in having fun, bringing my friends together, and not ruining my clothes.

The community meeting involved a lot of laughs and vibrant, inspiring people. I didn't find it incredibly helpful in developing my action plan, but I was really impressed with the level that college students go to in their community action. 
Meet my super sweet roommate, Elizabeth! 
Fellow Launderer and Erin's roomate, Izzy. Fellow Senior. 
I am now working in the lounge, among a sea of socializing students. Piles of dining hall fries are being picked at, music is blasting, and silly competitions are in full force. Yet I seem to have found a sharp focus that drowns them out while drawing from their energy and creativity. I am loving these students for being a part of me finding this efficiency.    

One girl was quite sweet and offered to read my blog every day. This was after talking with her for only two minutes. On a general note, everyone I have met, or even not met, knows or remembers my name. It makes me feel good that people take other's names seriously. I don't have to worry about awkwardly reminding someone of my name for the third time.          

1 comment:

  1. You should have seen the suitcase that Mahi originally borrowed--it was large enough for her and all of her clothes to fit in. She wisely opted for a small bag.

    ReplyDelete