Friday, July 24, 2015

A Week at Brown

During class, we had a Public Speaking Workshop. I was actually really helpful. 60% of what people pay attention to visual things like movements, posture, eye contact, and the way you are dressed. 30% of what people notice is the way you speak. For example your volume, enthusiasm, breathing, projection, pace, and confidentiality. 10% of what people notice is your speech. The delivery, clarity, no reading off a paper, and preparation. I thought it was pretty surprising because I always assumed all people were interested was the presentation over all.

We were given many helpful tips. Some were to try to make eye contact with everyone, try not to look like a robot, no assumptions, and to move a little if we are nervous. Everything said was pretty helpful because right after, we practiced presenting what our action plan were going to be. I am really glad we had the opportunity to practice because now I know what I need to practice on and how it will feel being the only person up there presenting.

After the class was over, Diana, Mahi, Wendy, and I took some time to admire everything around the CIT building where our class is located. 

SMILE

Beautiful day and campus.
Ms.Neal, the girls, and I decided to meet up on Thayer st. for some frozen yogurt. Since Mahi, Wendy, Diana, and I were pretty early we decided to walk around the stores. We went inside Urban Outfitters. We spent a lot of time in there and did not even end up buying anything. All the stores we went to we would just look around. The only thing we bought was Henna and I am so excited to use it! 
Mahi, Diana, Wendy, and I
Frozen Yogurt!
Once it was 7PM we head to the frozen yogurt place and hung out together for a bit. The frozen yogurt was delicious but I prefer YogurtLand over anything. We discussed everything that was going to be happening this weekend and next week. Right then I realized it was going to be our last week here. 

This has probably been one of the best weeks of my life. I have learned so many things in just one week and have changed my perspective in everything. I really cannot see social media the same anymore. I cannot help but notice all the unfair ways they treat women and how stereotypical things are. For instance, today we watched a movie called Avengers: Age of Ultron. The lady was showing so much cleavage and it is sad that to catch guys attention or to feel as if they fit in, they feel the need to do that. Then as they were fighting the guy of course had to fall on her chest.

Everything I learn about, I realize how much it happens in real life. Double standards happen everyday. Women and men get judged for doing something their gender is not usually known to do. Women settle for something lower than what they deserve because they do not realize how much they are worth. Media gives examples of how women are intended to look and causes girls to feel self-concious. People do not realize if they do not go against oppression, they are going with it. This is known as colluding. There are so many things the whole world needs to be aware of in order to make a change so that men and women can have equal rights.

I am really afraid this last week is going to go by really fast. I am pretty sure all the girls and I wish we could all stay here with Mary Grace and Tory forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment