Saturday, March 28, 2015

The Thrilling Tutorial

Today I woke up feeling paranoid about getting late to the tutorial. Although the night before I had accumulated all the things that I would need to bring to the tutorial, I rechecked everything for my assurance. The yummy pancakes my dad had cooked made me less anxious. Then I quickly dressed and headed out the door to De Anza High School for the tutorial. When I got there, I realized that I was half an hour early. I saw my friend, Julie, also waiting and I quickly joined her.


Before the tutorial began, Don called all of us who needed to get their medical insurance and government issued photo identification cards scanned. After that, we all took a seat in the computer lab. Each of us introduced ourselves to the rest of the group. Don introduced his good and evil cousins and began to go over how to blog.

This is when all the computers of De Anza High School started hating me. I had to switch from computer to computer to log on to Don's practice blog. Even my phone betrayed me at this point and would not let me accept the invitation to the practice blog. After fighting with the internet, I was finally able to log on to the blog. Even though I had to battle my way to log on, it was fun learning how to blog. We got to play around with the features of the blog site and post a practice blog.


Then the best part of the tutorial came...pictures! We took pictures with each other and learned how to upload them. Don shared with us some techniques and ideas that would help us enhance our pictures. It was so cool when Don photoshopped a picture. His skill thrilled everyone.


After that, Don went over the protocols and expectations of the Ivy League Connection and the institutes in which we would be studying during the summer. He shared some unpleasant experiences that have happened in the past and warned us not to follow those examples.


Then he went over the things that we would need to bring to the East to accommodate with the hotels, dorms, and bathrooms. The list was interesting and surprising. We even did a laptop security drill using a laptop security cable. With this, the tutorial ended and we all began to converse with each other.


I talked to someone who did the DNA Based Biotechnology program, which I will be doing this summer, at Brown University last year. He shared his experiences of the course, the college, and the trip with me, which made me even more excited for the summer.


After the tutorial, I became even more ecstatic about the trip. I met extremely friendly people in the tutorial and learned many new things. In addition, throughout the tutorial, Don was hilarious. I am very excited for the upcoming events and my amazing journey in the East.

My beautiful friends, Shanti and Julie, and I (from left to right)! The credit of this amazing picture goes to Jun Chen.

No comments:

Post a Comment