Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Proudly Recognized

From secondhand accounts, I had previously been led to believe that school board meetings were synonymous with the concept of boredom. This seemed probable. What could I -- a teenage girl -- possibly have to do with grown-up, big-vocabulary board meetings? Now that I am a part of the Ivy League Connection, the answer is: a lot. Tonight there was an emphasis on recognition and acknowledgment. This was our first step, as ILCers, as representing this prestigious program as one cohesive unit. Tonight, we were able to stand in front of the WCCUSD School Board Members and brief them on our exciting opportunity to be traveling to the east coast this summer.

At approximately 5:40, I arrived at DeJean Middle School to be met by a few other ILC students who had arrived already. I made small talk with those I hadn't got to know very well yet, and I got caught up with familiar faces. I got to make conversation with a couple of my teachers as well, as this board meeting was also being held to recognize my school, De Anza, as a Gold Ribbon school. It was an honorable opportunity to be a part of two major things in my community: De Anza and the Ivy League Connection.

Several minutes before the meeting had officially commenced, Tiffani Neal, our lovely chaperone, brought us all outside to discuss what the routine was going to look like. After assuring that she could pronounce everyone's name accurately and giving us each our certificates of recognition, we shuffled back to the main hall where the board meeting was taking place.

The sits were filled to the brim as many of those in our community had gathered to watch this evening unfold, to acknowledge the milestones the West Contra Costa County had reached. Others were there in order to protest the cuts against adult education in the district. The board members were seated in a semicircle at the far front of the hall on an elevated level, in front of charcoal black drapes. 

After a quick roll call and some introductions, the board announced De Anza High School for its prestigious award. Then the introduction of the Ivy League Connection followed. One by one, each cohort walked to the front of the room to explain where they were going, where they would visit, ho would be going, and what they would be studying. Each cohort included a speaker who addressed the board via a speech.
Representing Brown University in front of the WCCUSD board members.

When Brown University was called up, each of the ladies in my group stood up and walked to face the board members. As we were acknowledged by name, I began reciting and exercising in my head what I was going to say. Tonight, I would be addressing the board members through an impromptu speech. I would like to personally give recognition to Mahi, because now I knew what it felt like for her before she went up to give a speech at the dinner a few weeks ago. Mahi, we survived.

As I addressed the board members, I remembered to smile at them and sustain eye contact. When I spoke, I simply expressed how this privilege was going to expand my horizons and open new doors. I acknowledged those who contributed to the chance for each of us to head east this summer. I will admit that I was quite nervous, and during the middle of my speech I could feel my left leg quivering slightly. Once I said what I had to say, I thanked them and sat back down with the rest of my cohort.

After Don and Michelle Croda, an ILC alum, had both spoken, the Ivy League Connection was directed to head to the school's gym for our photos. Don, with his usual efficiency and precise directions, made it possible so that we were able to snap about two dozen pictures in no time.

After tonight, I can definitely understand what I -- a teenage girl -- could possibly have to do with a boring school meeting. Tonight the label of "a teenage girl" was not for me. Tonight, I was a young adult representing a prestigious program, being able to personally address some important people. Tonight, we were proudly recognized.
Don's finished masterpiece!



No comments:

Post a Comment