Thursday, May 21, 2015

A Wonderful Evening at the School Board Meeting

Wednesday around 4:45 PM, I arrived home from a long day at school and robotics. I greeted my parents and helped my dad pick his outfit for the School Board meeting that was held at Lavonya DeJean Middle School. I couldn't wait to get there! 

Shortly after that we said our good byes to my mom and sister who also had an important presentation to attend. She was going to be presented with a scholarship! She was very excited just like me. We got in my dad's truck and made our way to Lavonya. It didn't take as long to get there.

After we struggled with parking for a short while, we made our way to were the meeting was going to take place. Once we walked in, we were surprised by how many people actually attended. I said hi to the girls from my school as well as some other ILCers that I had never met before. 

Not so long after our chaperon, Tiffani Neal, pulled us, the Brown cohort, away to explain how the rest of the presentation was going to go. She told us the order in which she would introduce us. Tiffani is doing a really good job of learning our names. I personally am horrible at learning names but then again, I can't remember what I had for breakfast today. She also briefly explained what she was going to say in her speech. After we were done, we went back inside. 

We sat towards the middle. Everything else was extremely full! Thankfully we all got to sit together. Mahi, Komal and I talked about how excited for the summer we were and wondered how the evening would unfold. 

The School Board addressed some issues and the called up DeAnza High to recognize their hard work and dedication. The teachers gave short speeches and their stories of how they helped the school get to where it is today. The it was time for the Ivy League to go up. They called each cohort individually. The chaperon introduced the cohort, gave a small speech and turned it over to a designated student that would give another speech.

When they called up the Brown cohort, we made our way to the front of the room and with great pride help up the Brown banner. After all the introductions and the chaperon's speech it was Cindy's turn to give the student prospective of attending Brown. I have to say, she expressed herself beautifully and clearly. She articulated how we all felt about this wonderful opportunity and delivered it to the School Board in a relaxed way.  

After all the cohorts went up, we made our way to the gym where Don had prepped chairs and table cloths for the perfect picture. Thanks to his directions we were able to quickly arrange ourselves in a orderly manner. He skillfully snapped a couple dozen photos and dismissed us.

This was a wonderful experience and it made me appreciate the opportunity I have even more. I want to thank the School Board, the sponsors, the chaperons, and everyone that makes this possible. Thanks to you guys, we have this incredible opportunity that will be life changing. Again, thank you for all your hard work and dedication!
Don's master piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment