Thursday, May 21, 2015

No Boredom at the Board Meeting!

About half an hour before that school board meeting, I was on the stage of El Cerrito High School discussing a costume related problem for our upcoming dance show. At 5:25, I raised my hand and reminded my teacher that I had to leave before the end of rehearsal. Still in costume, I raced into the dressing room to change into my green and black patterned dress. I flung my costumes onto hangers and racks, slipped my feet into my black ballet flats, and flew down the hallway, hoping for punctuality. 

Walking into the auditorium of Lovonya DeJean Middle School, I recognized many faces from the I.L.C. blogging tutorial. I conversed shortly with my sophomore year English teacher, Ms. Sanders. I was also able to say hello to University of Chicago cohort's chaperone, Alana Scott, who I knew from past theater activities.  

The Brown cohort gathered in the chilly air outside the auditorium for a brief minute to run through name pronunciation and speaker order, but also to receive fancy recognition certificates. 

As the meeting began, I found myself thinking about the school district's size, and the amount of people who work for it. Every person in the room cared about education. Not just the board members, teachers, students or parents, though. Whether the audience member was there out of duty, complaint, or support, he or she had the interest to come and be active in community education.

Many of the students that gave speeches said similar things: The Ivy League Connection is a fantastic opportunity to learn, to become confident, to become better thinkers. I think every participant student, including myself, feels that way. Just listening to alum Michelle Croda read about her experience in the Women and Leadership Course gave me goosebumps. I am excited and ready to hopefully have as meaningful an experience. 

Thank you to every person who makes this program possible. It means a lot that I am able to participate in it.     

   

No comments:

Post a Comment