Monday, June 1, 2015

Orientation Oh My!

As I made my way to Pinole Middle School for our orientation, I was excited about some of the details about our trip being revealed. Soon after my mother and I signed in and took our seats, Don began going over the minutia of this summer. Many of the parents were relatively in the dark about a few things, so Don introduced himself and called up the counselors to talk a little about what our cohorts would be doing at our respective university's and key sites we would be visiting. Since our cohort will be touring Harvard and Wellesley which are both in Massachusetts, I am ecstatic to learn we will be spending time in Boston. Ms. Neal did a great job, and I am more excited than ever for what the summer will bring. A few ILC alums were able to attend the orientation, and it was great having them share their past experiences with us. They introduced themselves and told us what programs they had taken part in. 

The ILC Brown Cohort of 2015

We then split up into our cohorts, and since Brown was the largest we got to stay in the multipurpose room. Ms. Neal gave us a few things to sign and handed us very basic itineraries. She talked about Providence, Brown dorm rooms, dining, the weather, and gave us wonderful tips. We were also joined by Adrian Ramsey, one of the alums who had also attended the Women and Leadership program. She gave us invaluable first hand advice, and I appreciated her honesty and thoroughness. I am looking forward to experiencing the East Coast culture, as I am sure it will be much different from California. Adrian talked about how Providence reminded her of El Cerrito, small but with no shortage of things to experience.


Ms. Neal answered questions about allowances and other technicalities and mentioned a meet up we will have sometime in June. I was very happy to learn that we would have a lot of input in what we will be doing on the East Coast. Its an incredible experience to be able to have that level of freedom and I am sure I will use it well. The cohorts reunited and Don started talking about another thing the ILC provided for us, loaner items. If  we did not have something we would be able to loan it from the Ivy League Connection. The room was filled with suitcases and other various luggage and there was a table set to the side covered in bed sheets, blankets, camera's, laundry bags, laptops, and many other things we would be able to loan for our trip. Don also went over some things regarding air travel and gave us tips pertaining to that. After a while, it was time to leave and although I felt a tiny bit overwhelmed with all this new information I was determined to make this summer brilliant.








  

No comments:

Post a Comment