Monday, June 1, 2015

Excitedly Preparing For an Awesome Summer at the Orientation

To continue the Hercules High School tradition of wearing aloha shirts to the Orientation to celebrate Don, who works tremendously hard for everyone and who I am extremely thankful of, I wore my pink, black aloha shirt and headed for the Orientation at Pinole Middle School. 

At 5:57 PM, I hastily entered the campus. I ran to the multipurpose room, quickly signed in, and took a seat with my mom. The first thing I noticed in the hall was an array of suitcases and bags on and along the stage and a display of traveling items ranging from alarm clocks to laptops to bed sheets to flip-flops on a table near the door. 

As everyone settled down, Don began to talk about how the event will proceed. Then all the chaperones introduced themselves and spoke about their past experiences with the Ivy League Connection and their excitement for the summer. 

Next the breakout sessions took place in which all cohorts gathered in their designated locations. Ms. Neal and Mrs. Maher, my chaperones, passed out a basic outline of our itineraries. We also signed a few forms and confirmed our parents' names for the 2015 ILC group picture. 

Ms. Neal went over how and when we will be traveling to Brown University and the basics of living as a collegian. As she spoke about the cool activities we will be participating in during our stay in Providence and our site visitations to Harvard, Yale, and Wellesley, I became even more thrilled for the summer. 

An alum shared her experience with the ILC at Brown. She said the weather is hot and humid, the classes are very fun, the food is delicious, and the whole experience is incredible. 

After the breakout sessions, everyone returned to the multipurpose hall. Don discussed what we will need to pack for the trip and the available loaner items. 

The event came to an end as everyone window shopped for things they might want to borrow. 

To mark another year of the thriving Hercules aloha shirt tradition, all of us Hercules ILCers gathered with Don to take lots of pictures. We also took plentiful pictures with Ms. Thrift, the Hercules High School theater teacher and an ILC chaperone.



Eventually the hall became almost empty. As my mom and I waited for my dad to pick us up, we began chatting with Chiamaka, an ILCer and a friend from Hercules. I asked her for advice on what I should borrow from Don. I confirmed some concerns with Don and left the campus feeling super excited for the summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment