Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Fancy Feet Moving Fowards, Into Fancy Futures

"They're here!" my mom calls from the other end of the house. I glance at my hair still dripping wet from a shower and hope that it will dry quickly. Running, I grab my purse and head through the door, into the sunlight. The belongings I deem necessary for the event are in my bag: a camera, notebook, pen and wallet. I scamper down the concrete stairs and wave to Erin Cain and her mother Tracy, who warmly greet my mother and I as we slide into the seats of their car. As we glide down the hill toward the El Cerrito Plaza BART station, I can't help but feel the buzz of nerves and excitement.

We are chattering that, perhaps, we just might be first to arrive when we spot almost the entire cohort already gathered under the BART tracks. We nod our hellos as we receive our temporary clipper card from Don, who addresses the group. In a booming voice, he begins introductions and informs us on what to expect from the dinner.

We ride the escalator up to the platform, and converse until we hear the rush of the train approaching.

I find out that our teacher chaperon Tiffani Neal has a long history with the Ivy League Connection Program. I listen to her explain her role in the program and meanwhile, come to a better understanding of the course, and the program itself.

We arrive in San Francisco. The smile on my face widens as I study the tall buildings and fast paced street.

It's only a brisk walk until we hit One Market Restaurant. I am immediately awestruck at the class--giant curtains, clear glasses, white tablecloths, and more. My original nervousness shifts to hope that I can get through the dinner gracefully, without breaking or spilling anything. I grow calmer as various alumni and sponsors begin arriving; their presence is distracting and calming.  

I shake hands with an array of alumni and sponsors. The alumni radiate with appreciation for their time at Brown. I'm only able to have a conversation with one of the sponsors, Mary Morris. Her own college-going experiences are a large factor in her support for the ILC. The first in her family to graduate from college, she understands it's importance. 

We are asked to find our seats, and Madeline Kronenberg kicks off the speeches. I listen to Mahi Taban speak from the heart, Jonathon Speed showcase his appreciation for Brown, and Alice Pineiro wish us well. It feels good to know that so many people have such warm regard for Brown and for the ILC.

Dinner is lovely. The conversation flows smoothly between Komal, her mother, myself, my mother, alum Paul Sednaoui, and alum Andrea Llenos. As the dinner progresses, I become aware that studying something in college does not put one in a box. For example Paul Sednaoui, class of 2005, majored in international relations, but now owns his own company that helps businesses with computer related problems. Information and food keep coming. Yet, as my stomach fills up, my brain stays open.

The event flashes by quickly. We take a group picture and say our goodbyes. I take mental notes of things I need to remember for the summer and college applications as I walk out of the restaurant and into the cool night air.          

No comments:

Post a Comment